SEO and Social media are a part of modern life. As a business owner with a website, you should be using SEO (Search Engine Optimization) to improve your rankings results on search pages for relevant topics. You should also be using one or more social media platforms to build your brand, draw traffic to your website, advertise your sales, and communicate relevant information to your followers. Consumers are affected by SEO every time they search for something on a search engine, whether they realize it or not. According to the Pew Research Center, 70 percent of Americans now use at least one social media platform to connect with others, interact with businesses and share and receive information. The bottom line is that SEO and social media should work together to be most effective. The question is how to use social media and SEO to increase your rankings?
How SEO and social media work together
Set up your social media profiles:
- Facebook - Clearly the leader and the inventor of the social media platform that we are taking for granted every day. Set up your business page and make sure that you describe all your services in a clear and simple way. Make sure you link to your website.
- Twitter - Probably the hardest to get your head around but tweeting is highly effective in getting followers who may want to keep up with you and possibly promote your offers.
- Instagram – This is a great visual medium to promote your business on the business version of Instagram. It has certainly captured users under the age of 30. Again, be sure to provide a link to your website in your profile.
- LinkedIn - Set up your profile and start connecting to professionals that you know. Resist the temptation to just madly request connections to up the number.
- Pinterest - Don't forget about this red headed stepchild of social media. It is becoming a formidable factor and should be considered.
Now that you have your profiles all set up and optimized it's time to get started! It may seem overwhelming at first but just spend an hour or so a day becoming familiar with all of the different ways you can interact and share.
Don't start by promoting your business or service!
This is a common mistake and users quickly learn this is not how social media works. The key is SOCIAL interaction. You don't normally start a conversation with a friend or colleague about how you provide services. That's SELLING and not appropriate at this time and place. Build trust first and work to build trust in your brand and the sales will follow.
Social media is really simple, if time consuming, once you get a handle on it. This is just the beginning but a good place to start.
In 2020, both social media and SEO are extremely important to a business’ success. Hiring a great digital marketing agency who knows how to integrate the two is vital to getting your site to the top of the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs). Understand that it can take months of work to achieve your goals but if you stick to it, you should be able to gain the site traffic you need to build your brand, grow your business and compete in even the most difficult markets.
Seek the help of an SEO and Social Media Expert
Softwired provides digital solutions for our clients and partner agencies. We’ve got you covered for web design, SEO, local online presence and optimization, digital marketing, digital sales, and digital advertising. Whether you’re interested in a silent partnership or a referral program, web design only or more.