Recently I was asked why you shouldn't use Wix, Weebly or Squarespace to build your website. It seems like a pretty good deal as they sell you on the easy interface for dragging and dropping your content where you want it to go. It's cheap too, with low monthly fees. What they're not telling you is that there are problems with this approach.
Over the years we've helped quite a few businesses move their websites off of these platforms. The simple reason was their experience wasn't very good and they ended up with a bad website.
Here are the top 5 reasons you shouldn't use Wix, Weebly or Suarespace to build your website:
- Web Design Experience - It takes years to become a good web designer. How are you going to know how to design your web pages without any experience? These platforms tell you that you don't need this skill. It's a lie.
- Bad SEO - This is the BIGGEST PROBLEM we've found with using these platforms to build a website yourself. The platforms are not search engine friendly. From a technical perspective, there are a lot of problems with the way the websites work: Page URLs, using Flash and many other things make it extremely difficult to optimize a website built this way.
- You're Stuck - Don't like the system and want to move? Sorry. Basically, once the site is built you can't move it very easily to your own hosting account. You'll need to completely rebuild the website elsewhere if you want to move it.
- WordPress Wins - WordPress is free and developed by a huge community of designers and developers. We all have access to a system built and maintained by thousands with millions of users. No website content management system can compete with WordPress, period.
- Lack of Community - Ever try getting support from one of these companies? Good Luck. In the world of WordPress there is a huge community of designers, developers, SEO and internet marketers that are experts and freely share their knowledge. If you do something yourself, learn how to use your website for internet marketing.
Here's the secret that these companies don't want you to know. You can do the exact same thing with WordPress using a managed network with various themes. The crux of the issue is that you need a web designer to help you.
It may seem like an unnecessary cost to pay a web designer for something that you should be able to do yourself.
This is the biggest myth of all. If you get a toothache do you fix your tooth yourself? No, you find a dentist.
If you run a business you understand the need for spending money on advertising and other marketing efforts. Yet I see many business owners trying to cut costs by going with a cheap website and end up shooting themselves in the foot. When you consider that you can get a pretty nice website that is optimized for search engines and built for internet marketing for just between $100 to $200 per month averaged out over a few years, why bother with a site that doesn't really work?
So what if you can't afford $2000+ for a nice website? this is the only case where it might be a good idea to start with a website builder but plan to have the website designed by a professional in the future.
If you already have a decent website, you may just need some help making it more effective with some basic tweaks.
Softwired provides digital solutions for our partner agencies and clients. We’ve got you covered for web design, SEO, local online presence and optimization, digital marketing, digital sales, and digital advertising. Whether you’re interested in a silent partnership or a referral program, web design only or more; contact us today to get started!