Many times when we are discussing internet marketing people often ask how do I increase visitors to my website? In the past SEO companies would say you need to increase your organic listings by link building and other strategies. Now things are much more involved and are more broad based.
People still focus on organic SEO as a way to determine how they compare to their competitors. Although this is a good measure of your internet marketing success, it is a bad way to think about how to increase visitor to your website. Here's why...
When we are looking at traffic to your website and where those visitors are coming from there are 5 main areas.
- Organic SEO - Google and other search engines show your website to user who are searching for certain keywords.
- Referrals - Other websites that are linking to your particular posts or pages on your website.
- Direct Traffic - Sending people to your website by giving them your URL (or someone else did).
- Email - Visitors come to your website through email marketing. You are sending out monthly newletters about various topics with links.
- Social Media - Users engage via social media channels which link back to your website.
- Pay Per Click - You are placing ads in searh results for various keywords and run campaigns to get more traffic.
The problem we see so many times are SEO and marketing firms just focusing on one thing such as Organic SEO. The problem is this is usually around 30% of the way you are getting traffic so focusing on this will mean the other ways get neglected.
Why do we try to get more traffic to your website? By getting more visitors we get more opportunities to convert those visitors to leads and customers.