Online shoppers are becoming more and more sophisticated and require more time to build trust in order to convert into the buying process. There are a few key things that owners need to do to answer the question, how do I make my website ecommerce successful?
1. Aesthetics - I keep saying the same thing but it is the first thing that is noticed and therefore the most critical. A website must look nice and be aesthetically pleasing to attract enough attention in order get the visitor to read enough to begin the engagement process. It must be user friendly!
2. Compelling Content - The next step must create a moment of "shock and awe" or give some feeling of interest in the regard to a new insight or idea. Putting the feeling of a new idea creates the experience of enthusiasm. This gives energy to the process to move forward to the next step. Read about Content Marketing Tools.
3. First call to action - I say first because there are different levels of trust during the engagement process. The first level is still building trust and the website needs an offer to engage further. These calls are not "Buy Now" or "Contact Us" but rather "click here for a free guide to consumer reports on...".
4. Build Trust - Show website security, payment methods, and assure users with customer service messages, state a gaurantee.
5. Convert Quickly - The most critical part of the buying process and where the majority of online stores fail to perform. Make it easy to add a product to the cart, make the cart obvious and easy to checkout. Make the purchase process as smooth and effortless as possible. Ask only necessary information for shipping.
TIP: After purchase don't just display a thank you page. Display more call to actions and show the user what to do next.
There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes when you are visiting ecommerce websites that any user probably won't even know about. A well built site will be much more effective than a poorly designed site that is not optimized. It is critical to the success that these things are done correctly or your site will fail to produce orders from unknown visitors to your site.